Most Dangerous Neighborhoods in Dallas
Posted on Wednesday, October 14th, 2015 at 5:38 pm
Dallas, Texas is a fantastic place to live and work. We have a diverse culture, fun recreational outlets, and incredible restaurants. But every city has its dangerous neighborhoods. They all have areas locals tend to avoid because of their traffic jams, police activity, and general lack of safety. If you’re visiting Dallas or moving here, these are the neighborhoods to watch out for:
According to an FBI study of crime, these areas are some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country:
- Route 352 at Scyene Road (#9 on the list)
- 2nd Avenue and Hatcher Street (#12 on the list)
From the Dallas police department, the most recently listed dangerous neighborhoods by crime rate are as follows:
1. Five Points
2. WebbChapel – Timberline
5. Julius Schepps – Central
6. John West – Buckner
7. Camp Wisdom – Chaucer
8. Loop 12. Jim Miller
9. St. Augustine. Bruton
10. Hatcher. Scyene
For pedestrians, the most dangerous areas are based on number and severity of accidents. These include:
- 448 S. Good Latimer Expressway
- Loop 12 from Ledbetter to Great Trinity Forest
- Oak Lawn residential areas
- 2000 block of MLK Jr. Blvd.
What Do These Lists Mean?
This information tells you which areas in Dallas are the most dangerous for criminal activity and accidents. While many of these are safe for daily travel, you may want to avoid traveling here at night. Some areas of revitalization may make any of these safer in the near future. If you’re looking at purchasing a home in Dallas, you may want to consider proximity to these regions.
Although these lists provide citizens with good information, you must also consider that some data is outdated and streets that aren’t labeled as “most dangerous” may still warrant some caution. If you’re interested in learning more about which places in Dallas are safer than others, reach out to residents in the community, our team, or the police department. Those who are active in the community have a better understanding of crime rates and safety.
Protecting Yourself in Dallas
There may be times when traveling in dangerous areas is accidental or unavoidable. Keep yourself safe around the city by:
• Holding your cellphone or keeping it nearby. If you have emergency numbers on speed dial, you’ll just need to press a button if you feel unsafe. There are also apps that work well for traveling in unsafe areas.
• Pay attention to everything going on around you. Maintain awareness of your surroundings, and avoid traveling low-traffic, dark, or secluded places. Don’t park in unsecure parking decks, and look for alternative routes if you feel unsafe. Stay alert, keep your head up, and be mindful of nearby people’s behavior.
• Go with a group. There’s safety in numbers. Groups of three or more will always provide a higher level of protection than walking alone.
• Always provide someone with your ETA. Ask a friend or family member to alert emergency services if you haven’t been in touch after a certain amount of time. If you don’t make it to your destination, someone will start looking for you.
• Avoid talking or reading on your cellphone while walking. Being distracted could prevent you from noticing dangerous situations with individuals or cars. Keep your phone within reach, but try not to get distracted while you walk.
• Be prepared. Consider carrying tools, like mace or a Taser, and enrolling in local self-defense classes.
If you’ve been injured in one of these dangerous neighborhoods, reach out to our personal injury lawyer at The Benton Law Firm. We can help you secure the compensation and justice you deserve after a negligent or purposeful accident.