A semi-truck accident can be terrifying – imagine an 80,000-pound truck bearing down on your SUV. The force of the collision can cause serious injuries, even if the truck hits your car’s crumple zones and the airbags deploy. Victims of commercial truck accidents may be permanently disabled and have their lives forever changed. A truck accident attorney can help you seek compensation for your truck accident injuries in Houston.
Truck Accident Injuries Can Change Your Life
The force transferred from a semi to a much smaller passenger vehicle is tremendous, even when both vehicles are moving slowly. When a truck accident happens on one of Houston’s many highways, like the Beltway 8, Interstate 10, or the Hardy Toll Road, the occupants in the passenger car could suffer grievous injury.
Some of these most common injuries from truck accidents can lead to lifelong health complications for the victim:
- Head and brain injuries. Concussions are common and happen when the brain collides with the interior of the skull. The brain tissue can tear, swell, or start bleeding, affecting the victim physically and mentally. You don’t have to hit your head directly to suffer a Traumatic Brain Injury in a truck wreck, either. The force of the impact could cause your neck to whip violently back and forth and make the brain strike the skull’s interior. Moderate to severe concussions can cause memory loss and impede cognitive and motor functions. In the worst cases, the victims cannot care for themselves independently.
- Crushing injuries. A person’s limbs, hands, or feet may be pinned in the wreckage. A crushing injury may lead to an involuntary amputation. The injured person may need a prosthesis afterward and face a lengthy and painful recovery and rehabilitation period.
- Fractures. Compound fractures can cause permanent disability. The victim might require surgery to fix a bad break or physical therapy to re-learn how to walk after a broken bone heals.
- Back and neck injury. Whiplash is one of the most common vehicle injuries. It happens when the impact force sends the neck violently back and forth, like a cracking whip. This injury could over-stretch the ligaments and tendons, which take a long time to heal, or could damage the vertebrae that protect the spinal cord. Herniated discs are painful injuries that result from truck accidents, and many people require back surgery to fix them.
- Spinal cord injury. Partial or total paralysis isn’t uncommon after a spine injury in semi-truck accidents. The injured person could be permanently wheelchair or bed-bound. A paralyzed person could need modifications to their house or vehicle to accommodate their new disability.
Truck accidents can easily turn deadly. In a recent year, more than 400 semi-trucks were involved in fatal collisions in Texas.
Can I Sue After Being Hit by a Semi Truck?
Yes. Many truck accident victims opt to file a lawsuit against the driver who hit them and any other at-fault parties. You don’t have to sue for a settlement from the trucker’s insurance company. But, often, the best way to secure a fair settlement that adequately covers all your losses is through a lawsuit.
When you work with a lawyer, you can benefit from their experience valuing serious truck accident claims. An attorney will know how to assess the total value of your claim because they have experience with all the types of losses that can result from such an accident.
How Much are Most Truck Accident Settlements?
There isn’t an average truck accident settlement because every case is based on many different factors. Many truck accident lawsuits are settled out of court, and often, a confidentiality clause is inserted into the settlement agreement. As a result, the amount the victim receives isn’t public knowledge.
Next, truck accidents may have more than one responsible party at fault for the collision. In these cases, the injured person may seek compensation from all at-fault parties. Each of them may pay a settlement to the victim, which could result in more money than just one insurance claim would yield.
Because truck accidents are among the most serious kinds of traffic crashes, injuries are often more serious, and medical treatment can be more expensive. Therefore, the settlements or jury awards are often higher than those for a minor fender bender.
How a Houston Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help
Soon after the accident, you’ll probably be contacted by someone representing the truck driver who hit you. This could be their lawyer, a claims adjuster from their insurance company, or a representative from the trucking company. This person may offer you a settlement, but it’s probably just enough to cover your immediate medical needs. It’s unlikely to account for possible complications or future care you could require as you heal.
A lawyer can review this offer and advise you if it’s fair. After a truck crash in Houston, your lawyer can:
- Investigate the cause of the crash and identify all responsible parties
- Gather evidence to support your claim and prove the trucker’s or another party’s liability
- Send a demand letter to the at-fault party that outlines your case and explicitly states the value of your claim
- Negotiate a settlement with the other party
- File your legal paperwork, including the lawsuit and all motions to move the case forward
- Try your case in a Houston civil court
- Provide legal advice tailored to your situation with your best interests in mind
What Happens If the Settlement Offer Is Too Low?
If your Houston truck accident lawyer receives a counteroffer from the at-fault party that is too low, they may:
- Respond with a counter-demand
- Offer to enter mediation (structured settlement negotiations guided by a professional mediator)
- Take the case to trial and argue your case before a judge or jury
Do You Need Help from a Truck Accident Lawyer in Houston?
Are you suffering from catastrophic injuries after a commercial truck accident caused by someone else? Do you need money for your medical care and other losses? We can help. Contact The Benton Law Firm by calling (214) 777-7777 today for a free consultation with a tenacious Houston truck accident lawyer. We can work to hold the driver and other responsible parties accountable for your injuries and fight for your highest possible compensation.