Dallas Boating Refueling Explosions Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident involving a refueling explosion in the DFW area, you may be entitled to financial compensation. The Dallas area boating accident lawyers of The Benton Law Firm are here to help you understand your legal options, and build a case that can help you win the compensation that you need to recover from your injuries and lost wages.
Boating should be a fun, recreational activity with family and friends. Unfortunately, poor safety standards and negligent operators can often lead to accidents that cause injuries or worse. These are injuries that can force you to take time off of work, incur steep medical costs and put an overall strain on your family’s finances and morale. If you were injured in a boating refueling accident due to another’s carelessness, contact the Dallas area boating accident lawyers of The Benton Law Firm at (214) 777-7777 today, or start a live chat with one of our online representatives to discuss your case.
Why do I need a lawyer for my boating accident case?
A qualified boating accident lawyer can often make the difference in getting you the compensation that you need to recover. They will have the knowledge of personal injury law and the settlement process to help you better understand your legal options. Ideally, a knowledgeable and experienced boating accident lawyer will take the facts of your case and work with you to build a case that will give you the best chance of getting a fair settlement with the insurance companies.
Of course, having a lawyer does not guarantee compensation. However, a lawyer will better understand how to communicate with the insurance companies, who are often not working in your best interest. Because insurance companies want to pay out as little as possible, they will often look for ways to reduce the settlement payout or move to get the case dismissed altogether. They can occasionally even turn to dirty tactics such as monitoring your activities to establish that the extent of the injuries is not as severe as you claim. In these cases, a lawyer can be helpful in helping you to understand what to do and what not to do during the settlement negotiating the process, or in court, should the case come to that.
How can The Benton Law Firm help me?
The Dallas area boating accident refueling explosion lawyers of The Benton Law Firm have the knowledge and experience to help you through a boating accident case and win the compensation that you and your family need to recover. We understand that an accident such as this can often mean significant setbacks, and we are here to help.
Jeff Benton, a founding partner, understands that in personal injury cases, individuals are often outmatched by corporate lawyers and those for insurance companies who believe they can intimidate the plaintiff into silence. Attorney Benton has shown that what those lawyers believe to be superior legal resources isn’t always the case, and the firm’s track record of success proves it. As a result, The Benton Law Firm is a member of the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, showing a track record of bringing down large settlements for clients. Named by D Magazine is one of the “Best Lawyers in Dallas” for 2018, the legal team of The Benton Law Firm are ready to assist you with your boating accident case.
Given that we are a firm with the knowledge and resources to win, we can also provide an exceptional level of service. We maintain a perfect 10 rating on legal services website Avvo, which aggregates results, reviews and the legal experience of our team. With no case quotas and dedicated staff, we can bring this level of service, and our clients often come away impressed.
Types of refueling accident cases we handle
The Benton Law Firm has the resources and experience to handle a variety of boating refueling accident cases.
- Protocol Breach: If the boat operator was refueling either without closing all inside compartments, checking for fuel leaks or turning the engine off, this represents a breach of the general safety protocol for refueling a boat. If you were injured in a refueling explosion and were in the area around the ship, poor safety precautions could be to blame.
- Passengers onboard: In almost any circumstance, passengers should not be aboard a ship when it is being refueled. If you or someone you know was injured on a boat while it was being refueled and there was a refueling explosion, you may be entitled to compensation.
- Manufacturer Error: Sometimes, even when all safety precautions are followed, there can be a manufacturer error that can lead to a fuel explosion on a boat. The refueling equipment, as well as the equipment onboard the boat such as the fuel tank, and other components of the engine that handle the fuel, can all contain defects that can lead to a refueling explosion. For these types of cases, a thorough safety investigation is often required to establish that the explosion was not simply the result of user error. If you were involved in a refueling explosion accident and believe that the cause was due to manufacturer error, you should speak to a lawyer as soon as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is fault determined in a boating accident case?
Proving fault in a boating accident case, like any other personal injury case, involves establishing that someone acted negligently. Negligence is a specific legal term, generally taken to mean that someone did something that a reasonable person would not have done under similar circumstances and that this action directly led to harm. Generally, to prove that someone is at fault and acted negligently, we will have to prove the following:
- There was a legal duty on the part of the defendant to either provide something, such as security or maintain general safety. For example, in the case of a refueling explosion, the defendant had a legal duty to ensure that the boat was refueled safely.
- By acting in a certain way, such as failing to perform certain safety requirements, the defendant breached this legal duty.
- This specific action on the part of the defendant that breached their duty of care caused you or your loved one to be injured.
- Because of these injuries, you have suffered damages. Typically, you will need to demonstrate that you have suffered financial damages in order to prove fault and obtain compensation, although it is always best to talk with a lawyer following an accident about the details of your specific case.
What happens if I am a maritime worker? What about maritime law?
If you are a maritime worker, the Jones Act may apply to you should you be injured in a refueling accident. This gives you extra protections as part of your employment in the maritime industry, but it is best to speak to a lawyer first about your case.
Speaking to a lawyer is also the best course of action when understanding whether or not the accident falls under maritime law. For most cases local to the Dallas area, this is highly unlikely, but if you were involved in an accident in the Texas Gulf Coast, depending on your circumstances, maritime law may apply.
Whose insurance covers the costs in the event of a boating accident such as a refueling accident?
If you or a loved one were injured in a boating accident and the other party was found to be at fault, a boating accident lawyer would need to negotiate with the insurance company in order to obtain a fair settlement. Keep in mind that insurance companies often do not have your best interests in mind, and will often look to work their way out of giving you a fair settlement in any way they can. An experienced boating accident lawyer is the best resource to use in order to communicate effectively with insurance companies.
Contact The Benton Law Firm today to discuss your case
If you or a loved one has been injured or worse in a boating accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation. We understand that a boating accident due to another’s negligence or carelessness can leave a horrible, lasting impact on you, your family, and your finances. We will work to build a case that gives you the best possible chance to win the compensation that will help to pay for mounting medical bills and get your finances under control so that you can support your family.
Keep in mind that Texas’ statute of limitations for many personal injury cases, including almost all boating cases, is 2 years, so it is in your best interest to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible after the accident about filing a claim. To speak with a member of our award-winning legal team about your case, please call the Dallas area boating accident lawyers of The Benton Law Firm at (214) 777-7777 or start a chat with an online representative on our website today.