Dallas Zostavax Attorneys
Instead of protecting patients from shingles, manufacturers of Zostavax negligently subjected them to the virus. This inexcusable act has left innocent Americans to deal with serious and painful side effects – including blindness and even death.
Do NOT let the carelessness of Zostavax’s manufacturer – Merck (who is owned by Bayer AG) – go unpunished. You deserve justice for the injuries you have suffered and the accomplished team at The Benton Law Firm can deliver the results you need.
If you were injured as a result of taking a Zostavax shingles vaccination, contact our Dallas Zostavax lawsuit attorneys at (214) 777-7777 for a FREE case evaluation.
The Basics of Zostavax
Zostavax is a shingles vaccination meant to protect individuals aged 50 years and older from the virus. The vaccine was first produced by the pharmaceutical company Merck and approved for use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2006.
By using a weakened form of shingles, the vaccination is supposed to allow the body to build up the necessary immunity to protect the host. However, the vaccination has been shown to be ineffective, protecting only 50 percent of patients aged 60 years and older; 41 percent of those in the 70-79 age group and 18 percent for those 80 years and older.
The issue with Zostavax is that because it uses a dose of the virus, those with weak immune systems may not be able to fight off the development of shingles or other serious health conditions that could occur.
Additionally, Merck did not warn consumers of these potentially dangerous side effects until 2014. Amazingly, it was also the only approved shingles vaccine until 2017.
Lawsuits being brought against allege:
- Merck knew of these dangerous side effects but did not warn consumers.
- The safety of the product was misrepresented.
- Zostavax has caused debilitating injuries to victims, including causing death.
The Painful Truth of Shingles
Shingles is a viral infection that can cause an extremely painful rash on the body – although generally it appears on the left or right side of the torso. Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus which is the same virus that causes chickenpox. While not life-threatening, shingles can greatly affect an individual’s quality of life.
Individuals who are dealing with a bout of shingles may suffer from a number of symptoms including:
- A painful rash that burns or tingles
- Sensitivity to touch
- Fluid-filled blisters
- Flu-like symptoms
- Sensitivity to light
In certain instances, the virus can spread into the eye and affect vision, as well as damage the individual’s cornea. Other serious complications associated with shingles includes postherpetic neuralgia, which is a form of continued shingles pain even after the rash and blisters have cleared. Neurological problems and skin infections may also affect individuals with shingles.
Risk factors that may increase the risk of developing shingles include:
- The risk of developing shingles increases with age. Individuals over 50 run the greatest risk of developing the condition.
- A weakened immune system can increase your risk (i.e. HIV/AIDS).
- Cancer treatments can lower your resistance to shingles and can potentially trigger the condition.
- Certain medications can increase the risk of developing shingles.
Although Zostavax is meant to reduce the risk of shingles, the risks associated with taking the vaccine are troubling.
The Severe Side Effects Caused By Zostavax
While side effects are generally expected with medications, Zostavax can cause a wide variety of minor and life-threatening complications. In terms of general side effects, Zostavax may cause:
- Joint pain
- Muscle pain
Plaintiffs who have filed claims against the makers of Zostavax, however, are facing catastrophic side effects including:
- Hearing loss
- Brain damage
- Liver failure
Shockingly, a vaccination meant to protect individuals may actually cost them their lives. Victims of Merck’s gross carelessness deserve better than be left with life-changing illnesses.
The team at The Benton Law Firm is ready to help right the wrongs done against you. If you were vaccinated with Zostavax but have experienced serious complications after inoculation, contact our trustworthy defective drug attorneys at (214) 777-7777 for a FREE case evaluation.
Am I Eligible to File a Zostavax Lawsuit?
It is in your best interest to reach out to the Zostavax lawsuit attorneys of The Benton Law Firm to better understand your situation and to uncover whether you may have a potential claim.
Individuals who may be eligible to file a claim against Merck and Bayer AG include:
- Individuals who received a Zostavax vaccine after 2006.
- Individuals who were diagnosed with shingles three weeks to a year after first receiving the vaccine.
Please be aware that statute of limitation laws may affect your ability to file a claim, so it is in your best interest to reach out to our attorneys today at (214) 777-7777 to get the process started.
If you or a loved one dealt with the following catastrophic injuries following your Zostavax vaccination, you may have additional time to file a claim:
- Neurological disease or disorder
- Nerve disorder
- Spinal cord inflammation
- Facial paralysis
- Vision problems
- Hearing loss
- Heart-related health issue
- Autoimmune disorder
If your loved one lost their life as a result of being vaccinated with Zostavax, our attorneys can help you to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the responsible party who caused you such tremendous pain and suffering.
You are not alone in your journey. We will be with you every step of the way until you secure the justice and financial recovery that is owed to you.
Steps to Take to Begin the Process of Recovery
Individuals who are eligible to file a claim against Merck should begin collecting evidence as soon as possible to help strengthen their claim. Our Zostavax lawsuit attorneys will guide you and support your efforts but it is important for you to take a few initial steps on your own to begin the process.
Consider taking the following actions:
- Seek Medical Care First: Your health and well-being are of utmost importance. Depending on the specific injuries you have suffered, you may need to undergo emergency hospitalization. Alongside receiving the treatment you need, the medical records and proof of you seeking medical care will serve as valuable evidence in your claim.
- Begin Gathering Receipts & Records: A record that you received a Zostavax vaccination can prove to be essential to your claim. Alongside this record, you will want to secure documentation that includes medical bills, injury-related expenses, and pay stubs that show how much earnings you have missed out on due to time off for healing.
- Document Your Injuries: Document your personal experience and the injuries/symptoms you have suffered following your vaccination. If possible, take photographs of the areas of your body that have been affected.
- Consult a Qualified Attorney: Our team of Zostavax lawsuit attorneys will inform you of your rights, set up a plan for legal action, and handle the complicated conditions of your claim.
Remember that there is a statute of limitations, and the sooner you act, the better. Contact The Benton Law Firm right now at (214) 777-7777 to schedule your FREE case evaluation.
What Compensation Can I Recover?
If you are eligible to file a Zostavax lawsuit, the experienced attorneys at The Benton Law Firm will work diligently to help you secure full and fair compensation for the damages you have suffered.
Depending on you the specific circumstances of your case, we will fight to secure:
- Economic damages include any quantifiable losses related to the injuries sustained. This can include but is not limited to medical treatment costs, property damage, and lost wages. These are damages that can be calculated and traced to an exact amount.
- Non-economic damages include damages for mental and emotional trauma. This can include compensation for loss of quality of life, loss of consortium, emotional anguish, and other such injuries.
- Punitive damages are another form of compensation that can be obtained for the victim. While these are not directly assigned as compensation, they are meant as a punishment for the defendant’s intentional negligence or unreasonable harm. Punitive damages serve as a form of discouragement so that other companies do not act in the same manner.
Zostavax Lawsuit Attorneys You Can Depend On
Your pain is real and you deserve a legal team who will take your suffering seriously. We pride ourselves in being a dependable and compassionate team who fight for the justice you deserve. When you choose The Benton Law Firm, we work hard to earn your trust and secure you the results you need to move on with the next stage of life.
At The Benton Law Firm, we:
- DO NOT CHARGE FEES UNLESS WE WIN YOUR CASE.
- Offer personalized attention so that your case gets the treatment it deserves.
- Work with a supporting team of medical professionals, researchers, experts, and investigators to thoroughly investigate your claim.
- Will NOT accept just any settlement. We will take your case to court if necessary.
Contact The Benton Law Firm today at (214) 777-7777 or reach out to us online for a FREE, no-obligation consultation. We will be by your side every step of the way until we bring Merck and Bayer AG to justice.