Dallas Road Defects Attorneys
Poor road quality causes thousands of accidents annually on U.S. roads and highways. Both state and federal laws mandate that cities, towns, and counties must keep roadways safe. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to maintain every road, and safety is not always a guarantee. Road defects cause accidents that often result in injuries and death. At The Benton Law Firm, our attorneys understand that your injuries after such an unnecessary accident can cause unwanted expenses. Our Dallas road defects attorneys are prepared to help you receive any compensation you deserve from the responsible party.
Common Road Defects that Cause Accidents
Faulty roadway conditions can cause serious accidents, so it is important to be aware of dangerous defects. It is best to avoid roadways with such conditions if possible, though they are too often unavoidable for drivers. Some common roadway defects that could put drivers in danger include:
- Damaged or missing guardrails
- Bridges with incorrect markings or overhead heights
- Iced bridges or roads that are not properly salted or plowed during the winter
- Potholes and other similar pavement issues
- Landscaping that obstructs the vision of the driver
- Lack of lighting, traffic lights, signs, or road markings
- Uneven shoulders and blind curves
Steps to Take After an Accident Caused by Roadway Defects
If you feel that a road defect was the cause of your accident, there are steps necessary to follow in order to pursue a claim. These steps include:
- Make sure everyone is unharmed. If anyone involved appears to be injured, you should immediately call emergency responders. Treat this type of accident as you would any other traffic accident. Police will create an accident report, which you will need if you intend to make a claim.
- Take photos of the scene, damage, and any possible road hazards you see. You should also be sure that the officer creating the accident report takes note of any road defects. If any witnesses are at the scene, speak with them and ask if they have witnessed a similar accident on the same road before.
- Contact your insurance company, as you will need to report the accident to your provider. Even if the accident only involves your vehicle, your insurance company will likely provide coverage.
- Pursue a claim with the help of an attorney. Claims against government agencies are difficult to navigate, so an experienced lawyer will be helpful to you, especially in identifying the responsible party.
Following these steps will be helpful to you, though sometimes victims are severely injured and unable to do so. In any case, our legal team at The Benton Law Firm is prepared to help you.
Contact a Road Defects Attorney in Dallas
Accidents caused by road defects can cause severe injuries to you and damages to your vehicle. At The Benton Law Firm, our lawyers take road defect accidents seriously, especially when negligent parties are at fault. With vast personal injury experience, our firm seeks to provide our clients with the compensation they deserve so they can focus on recovery without worrying about medical bills and damages. To get started on your claim, call the Dallas road defects attorneys at (214) 219-4878.