Dallas Attorneys for Distracted Driving Car Accidents
With the widespread adoption of smartphones, drivers have even more distractions to contend with behind the wheel. Texting while driving and other distracted driving behaviors can lead to devastating car accidents. When you have been injured in a car crash that was caused by a distracted driver, you deserve to demand accountability and justice. A Dallas car accident lawyer from The Benton Law Firm will understand the difficulties and struggles that you are going through and can handle the details of your case so that you can focus on your recovery.
If you were injured or even lost a loved one in a car accident caused by someone else’s distracted driving, reach out to The Benton Law Firm for a free initial consultation. A Dallas car accident attorney from our firm can help you better understand your legal options for demanding compensation for your accident-related expenses and losses.
Why Hire The Benton Law Firm After a Distracted Driving Accident?
When you have been hurt by a distracted driver, you should not have to pursue compensation on your own. While you are focused on your physical and emotional recovery from a devastating car crash, let the Dallas car accident attorneys of The Benton Law Firm go to work on your behalf by:
- Guiding you through the complex laws and legal claims process in Texas
- Documenting your injuries and calculating the compensation you deserve in a settlement or at trial
- Handling all communications with the insurance companies to give you the space to heal and protect you from the tricks and tactics that insurers use to delay and deny your claim
- Representing your interests at the negotiating table and in court
What to Do After Being Injured in a Distracted Driving Accident
After you have been injured in a distracted driving accident that was someone else’s fault, steps you can take to put yourself in the best position to pursue a claim for compensation include:
- Document the accident scene by taking photos or video of important details.
- See your doctor or go to the hospital as soon as possible to get checked for any injuries you may have suffered.
- Follow all treatment instructions and recommendations.
- Keep copies of bills or invoices for expenses that you incur due to the accident.
- Start a journal to record the pain and daily difficulties you experience.
Finally, speak to a distracted driving lawyer from The Benton Law Firm to discuss what next actions to take to pursue your legal rights.
Common Types of Distracted Driving Behaviors
Distractions behind the wheel can take one or more of three different forms:
- Visual distractions, where a driver takes their eyes off the road
- Manual distractions, where a driver takes one or both hands off the wheel
- Mental/cognitive distractions, where a driver takes their focus or attention off the act of driving
Examples of distracted driving behaviors that can lead to accidents include:
- Texting or typing on a cell phone
- Using a tablet or laptop computer
- Adjusting the radio, climate control, or infotainment system
- Adjusting a GPS navigation device
- Eating or drinking
- Grooming or applying makeup
- Reaching for an object in the passenger compartment
- Reading a map, book, newspaper, or magazine
- Interacting with other passengers or pets in the vehicle
- Reading street signs or looking at objects outside the vehicle
Injuries Suffered in Distracted Driving Accidents
Injuries commonly suffered by victims of distracted driving accidents include:
- Bone fractures
- Ligament or tendon injuries
- Herniated disc injuries
- Nerve damage
- Internal organ injuries and internal bleeding
- Facial injuries
- Head and traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
What Can You Recover in a Distracted Driving Accident Claim?
If you have been injured in a car accident with a distracted driver, you may be entitled to recover compensation for financial and personal losses you sustained due to the crash. This includes money for:
- Costs of medical treatment and rehabilitation of your injuries, including long-term care needs, such as home health services, medical/mobility devices, and home renovations to help you accommodate permanent disabilities that may result from your injuries
- Repair costs for your vehicle or the pre-accident value of your car if it was totaled in the accident
- Loss of wages or income if you miss work while recovering after the accident
- Loss of future earning capacity if you are permanently disabled from working in any kind of gainful employment
- Pain and suffering
Distracted Driving FAQs
Below you will find common questions we receive from our distracted driving accident clients.
How much does it cost to hire a distracted driving lawyer?
At The Benton Law Firm, our Dallas car accident lawyers represent clients on a contingency fee basis. This means when you hire us for your case, you will not need to pay us any money upfront. Instead, we only earn legal fees when we recover compensation for you through an insurance settlement or by winning your case at trial. If we cannot recover money for you, you won’t have to pay us anything.
When do I need to file a lawsuit after a distracted driving accident?
The statute of limitations on car accidents under Texas law requires that your lawsuit in your distracted driving case be filed within two years of the date of the crash. Filing suit after the limitations period has passed risks having your lawsuit permanently dismissed by the court. If that occurs, you will have lost your right to demand compensation from the distracted driver who hit you through the court system.
Do I need an attorney if I want to accept a settlement from the insurance company?
You should always consult with a car accident lawyer before accepting any settlement from the insurance company. Keep in mind that the insurance company has a goal of minimizing the amount of money they pay you after a car accident. An experienced distracted driving accident lawyer from The Benton Law Firm can evaluate any insurance settlement offer you have received. We can advise you whether the settlement provides fair and full compensation or whether you may be entitled to more money. Reach out to us today.
Contact The Benton Law Firm to Discuss Your Case with a Distracted Driving Accident Attorney
After you have been injured in a car accident that resulted from a negligent motorist’s distracted driving, you need experienced legal representation to help you fight for full financial recovery. Contact us online, or call The Benton Law Firm at (214) 777-7777 for a free, no-obligation case evaluation. We’ll share more about how our Dallas distracted driving lawyers will advocate for the compensation and justice you deserve after a distracted driving accident.