Dallas Talcum Powder Lawsuit Attorneys
As some of the best-selling products of Johnson & Johnson’s (J&J) merchandise line, Johnson’s Baby Powder, Shower-to-Shower powder, and other products containing talcum powder have been linked to ovarian cancer and other serious conditions.
Studies from as far back as 1971 revealed a connection between ovarian cancer and talcum powder. That means that for over 40 years, Johnson & Johnson – along with other companies who have used talcum powder – knew of the potential risks associated with using talcum powder and yet failed to act. In fact, internal documents have proven that J&J was aware of the fact that talc-based powders could be dangerous but believed that the risk did not justify warning consumers.
Now, thousands of women have filed legal claims against the company. Allegations against J&J reveal that the company has acted negligently by failing to warn female consumers about the risks associated with their talcum powder-based products.
If you have developed cancer after using any talcum-based product developed by Johnson & Johnson or another company, reach out to the Dallas Talcum powder lawsuit attorneys of The Benton Law Firm to learn more about your legal options. We will help to uncover the cause of your injuries and help you determine if can file a claim.
The Basics of Talcum Powder
Talcum powder is made from the mineral talc, which consists of several other elements including magnesium, silicon, and oxygen. When turned into a powder, talc is effective at absorbing moisture, which is why it is used widely in talcum powder and other consumer products.
Naturally occurring talc deposits are often found near asbestos deposits and, in its natural form, some talc may actually contain asbestos. While efforts have been made to create “asbestos-free” products, and most manufacturers have replaced the talcum powder in their products with other, safer powders, the fact of the matter is that consumers were exposed to asbestos-containing talcum powder for decades.
Asbestos is a known carcinogen.
The two products which lawsuits are generally revolving around include:
- Johnson’s Baby Powder: A staple consumer product which has been on the market for over a century. The product has built a following because of history and branding.
- Shower-to-Shower Body Powder: While newer than Johnson’s Baby Powder, this product has been on the market for over 50 years.
Alongside these two products, a number of other companies have faced lawsuits because of their talcum powder products, including:
- Clark & Daniels
Have you developed ovarian cancer as a result of using talcum powder products? Do not wait to reach out to the talcum powder lawsuit attorneys of The Benton Law Firm. Time is of the essence when it comes to your well-being and your legal rights.
Studies Show the Dangers of Talcum Powder
The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classifies the use of talc-based powders as “possibly carcinogenic to humans” when used in the perianal or genital region. Both the National Cancer Institute and American Cancer Society also consider talc use near the genitals as being a risk factor for the development of ovarian cancer.
Alongside these agencies classifying talc as cancerous, nearly 40 studies have been conducted in order to better understand the link between talcum powder and cancer.
Some of the more notable papers include:
- The original study that first drew attention to the issue was published in 1971 in the Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the British Commonwealth. While the study was small, it found that in 75 percent of ovarian and cervical tumors removed from 13 different women, talc particles could be found.
- A 1982 study found that women who used talcum powder when they were ovulating saw a 92 percent risk increase of developing ovarian cancer.
- A 2017 report published in the European Journal of Cancer Prevention found “a weak but statistically significant association between genital use of talc and ovarian cancer…”
- A 2018 study published in Epidemiology found “a consistent association between perineal talc use and ovarian cancer.”
- Reuters published an expose in late 2018 in which they uncovered that Johnson and Johnson had been keeping information secret from regulators and the public about the contaminated talcum powder they were selling.
It was Reuters’ investigation that uncovered the fact that Johnson & Johnson had undermined the FDA’s quality-control tests by failing to provide the agency with important lab reports which had shown the presence of asbestos fibers in their products. There were even efforts made to essentially thwart investigations into their products.
Compensation The Benton Law Firm Will Fight to Recover
If you or a loved one have been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and used talcum powder, you may be able to recover a substantial settlement. Depending on the circumstances of your specific case, our talcum powder lawsuit attorneys will work diligently to recover damages for but not limited to:
- Medical Expenses – Treatment for cancer and other injuries caused by the use of talcum powder can be expensive and place a heavy financial burden on you. We will fight for compensation to cover past, present, and future medical expenses related to your injury.
- Pain and Suffering – Suffering from cancer can greatly reduce your quality of life and affect you psychologically. These damages help to cover the emotional trauma you have undergone.
- Lost Wages and Future Earnings – If your injuries left you unable to work, then you can recover compensation for the wages you lost, as well as for future earnings if your injury does not allow you to return to work at all.
- Wrongful Death Damages – Should your loved one lose their life as a result of the cancer they obtained from using talcum powder, your team of compassionate lawyers at The Benton Law Firm can help you secure wrongful death damages including funeral-related expenses, as well as other forms of compensation.
- Punitive Damages – This type of compensation is awarded when it is proven that the negligent company or manufacturer acted in a malicious, fraudulent, or grossly negligent behavior.
You do not have to fight alone. Contact The Benton Law Firm today at (214) 777-7777 for a FREE case evaluation. These cases are time-sensitive, so please do not hesitate to reach out to us as soon as possible.
Notables Cases Against Johnson & Johnson
Johnson & Johnson has been held liable in several cases where large awards were provided to the plaintiff. Some of the more notable cases and awards include:
- In 2019, Johnson & Johnson was ordered to pay $300 million in punitive damages to a plaintiff who had developed mesothelioma after using their talcum powder for decades.
- A group of 22 women was awarded $4.69 billion by a Missouri jury in 2018. The women had all been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and had used Johnson & Johnson’s talcum-based powder for years.
- An ovarian cancer patient was awarded $110 million in 2017. She had used the talcum powder for 40 years.
- In 2017, a woman who had developed terminal ovarian cancer was awarded $417 million.
- A plaintiff was awarded $55 million in 2016 after undergoing multiple surgeries, including a hysterectomy as a result of ovarian cancer.
- In 2016, the family of a woman who had died from ovarian cancer was awarded $72 million.
In total, more than $5 billion has been awarded to plaintiffs in their claims against Johnson & Johnson. And there are still thousands of cases yet to be settled.
Why Choose The Benton Law Firm
Our experienced and knowledgeable attorneys are committed to your best interest. We work hard to earn your trust and to deliver the results you need to get your life back on track. You should not have to suffer at the hands of a negligent company that knew for DECADES that their products were hazardous.
The benefits of choosing The Benton Law Firm include:
- NO FEES CHARGED UNLESS WE WIN YOUR CASE.
- Personalized attention so that your case gets the treatment it deserves.
- A committed team of product liability attorneys who have recovered millions for our clients.
- We will work with a supporting team of medical experts and researchers to help us better understand your case.
- A personal injury law firm that is NOT afraid to take your case to court. We will fight to make sure you get a fair and full settlement.
Court documents have shown that executives at Johnson and Johnson absolutely knew that their talcum products were contaminated with a known carcinogen and yet failed to warn the public. Because of their greed and negligence, the company has put the lives of thousands of Americans at risk.
You do NOT deserve to be treated with such carelessness.
The talcum powder lawsuit attorneys of The Benton Law Firm are here to give you more than a fighting chance to stand up against Johnson & Johnson. We will not rest until we help you secure the justice and compensation that you rightfully deserve.
Please be aware that there is a statute of limitations that can affect your ability to file a successful claim. Contact our dependable and trustworthy talcum powder lawyers to help start the legal process as quick as possible.
Contact The Benton Law Firm today at (214) 777-7777 for a FREE, no-obligation consultation. Your pain will not be in vain. We will deliver the results you deserve for a potential drug-related injury.