Fort Worth Child Injury Attorneys
Injuries to children who are involved in a car accident are usually serious and can lead to lifelong consequences for the injured child. The family often also suffers as a result of the injuries sustained by their child. If you have a child who has suffered any kind of injury as the result of an auto accident, call the Fort Worth child injury lawyers of The Benton Law Firm at (817) 935-8000 today for help. The initial consultation is free, and our team is ready to listen to you and discuss your rights and legal options.
Why Choose The Benton Law Firm to Handle Your Case?
Personal injury attorneys know the law, the court system, common injuries to look for, and can apply the facts of your case to legal precedent. All of this ensures that you will obtain the best results possible in your situation. Why dabble in personal injury law after your child has been injured and risk losing the compensation to which you are legally entitled? Why risk your child’s future by not seeking the help of a seasoned professional? An experienced attorney like the ones at The Benton Law Firm will protect your rights, your child’s wellbeing, and ensure that you are not being lowballed by the insurance companies and driver who injured your child.
An experienced personal injury attorney can also assess your case and identify its strengths and weaknesses. Every detail—from the road conditions on the day of the accident to whether or not your child was buckled up and in their child seat—matters in personal injury cases. Hiring an attorney from The Benton Law Firm who can tell you how to strategize your case and what to look out for if the insurance company is trying to mitigate damage awards will ensure that you get every cent that you deserve. You owe it to yourself and your child to make sure to give them the best possible outlook for the future, and The Benton Law Firm is the right choice to help you move forward with life.
Injuries to Children and Lifetime Consequences
While anyone involved in a car accident is bound to have injuries like bruising, fractures, cuts, and internal organ damage, children are at a far higher risk of suffering head injuries in a wreck. Head injuries can include anything from skull fractures to concussions, and these kinds of injuries often carry long-term (even lifelong) consequences. Although it is not an exhaustive list, here are some examples of the long-term repercussions that head injuries to children can have:
- Psychological effects: Some children end up with psychological damage after experiencing injuries in a car accident. This damage may be present as post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, anxiety, or fears and phobias surrounding cars and driving.
- Impaired cognition: Some head and brain injuries cause disabilities that may impair your child’s ability to go about their everyday learning and completion of tasks, both in and out of school.
- Difficulty with motor functions: Any head trauma carries with it the risk of damaging and disabling certain parts of the brain. Some children who experience post-accident head trauma end up having problems with speaking, walking, standing upright, breathing, etc. as a result of a brain injury.
- General developmental delays: Children who survive a car accident may seem fine right after the accident but will later exhibit signs of developmental delay. Akin to impaired cognition, this will show itself in the child’s ability to learn or do new things, such as walking, talking, adding, subtracting, etc. Developmental delay is often diagnosed relative to your child’s past with developmental hallmarks, but it is an important aspect of trauma that should not be overlooked as time passes after an accident.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI): Presenting as confusion, blurry vision, difficulty concentrating, and irritability or moodiness, traumatic brain injury in children is an extremely serious consequence of head injuries. Though treatable, it can cost a lot of money and take time to be diagnosed and have addressed adequately by medical providers.
If your child has been involved in a car accident, no matter how severe the wreck, it is imperative that you take the child to a doctor immediately. Obtaining exams and diagnoses of any immediate damage are key to early treatment and assessing the damages that a negligent driver may have caused to your child.
Do Not Rush To Settle—Some Injuries Take Time
Some injuries, even when severe, are not readily apparent right after an accident. It is important to take note of anything post-accident that seems particularly peculiar or unusual with your child. Sometimes post-accident brain and head injuries do not present themselves until weeks or months after an incident. This is especially relevant if the child is very young or if there is general difficulty in communicating health and welfare issues with the child due to age, disabilities, or general delays. As a result, do not be too quick to settle with an insurance company offering you some quick settlement agreement. These settlement agreements will usually be lacking because they will only address the injuries that were readily identifiable after the accident. They will not account for or cover future identified injuries once signed.
If you feel pressure from an insurance company to sign an agreement or you feel like you might prematurely sign an agreement due to the stress of the situation at hand, call a Fort Worth personal injury attorney from The Benton Law Firm for guidance. An attorney can relieve you of the burden of this stressful choice, handle your case, analyze offered settlements, and ensure that you are not settling for less than you deserve or less than you may need in the future for your child’s injuries.
As experienced Fort Worth personal injury attorneys, the team at The Benton Law Firm can make sure your case is handled with the utmost care and knowledge. Our talented team will assess your case and pinpoint a successful strategy to get you the most out of the party or parties that caused injury to your child. Calling (817) 935-8000 today to schedule a free consultation is the first step to winning your case and getting the recovery you deserve for the damages your child and family has suffered.