A car crash can lead to severe injuries, expensive medical bills, and months or years of struggling. Handling an injury claim or lawsuit is challenging while seeking medical care. When you hire an experienced car accident lawyer, you can focus on your health while they take on the insurance company.
How a Car Accident Lawyer Can Help with Your Case
The primary goal of an attorney is to seek maximum compensation from the at-fault party for your medical bills and other expenses. They provide legal representation during every stage of the process and take on tasks such as:
- Explaining your rights – Your lawyer will advise you of your legal rights during the claim or lawsuit. They are familiar with local laws and know how to apply them to seek a favorable outcome.
- Offering advice – You should not handle your case alone. Your car accident attorney can offer much-needed advice about the steps you must take after the collision, the records you should maintain, and what to do if the insurer contacts you.
- Assessing your losses – Accident victims often only consider the immediate losses from a car accident. However, securing adequate compensation requires calculating past and future losses to avoid paying for anything out of pocket. Your attorney can assess your total losses to determine the value of your case and demand a full and fair monetary award.
- Negotiating a settlement – Dealing with the insurance company is overwhelming for many. You don’t have to talk to the insurance adjuster when you hire a lawyer. Your lawyer can handle all communications, including negotiating a settlement. They will know how to approach negotiations to try to achieve the best possible result.
Do I Need a Lawyer for a Car Accident?
Car accident lawyers have the experience and skills to build a solid case and fight against the insurance carrier’s tricks and tactics. If you attempt to pursue compensation alone, the insurer might take advantage of you. They might try to intimidate you into accepting a lowball offer or deny your claim unfairly. Without legal representation, you might not realize you have other options and can fight a denial or insufficient settlement offer.
When to Call a Lawyer After a Car Accident
Even in a minor car accident, an attorney can help protect your interests and handle the legal details of your case while you get on with your life.
A lawyer is essential if you experience an accident of a more serious nature. Hiring an attorney can simplify your life if the crash involves multiple responsible parties or disputed liability or causes severe or debilitating injuries. You should hire a car accident lawyer if any of these elements apply to your case:
- The other driver and their insurance company blame you for the crash
- The accident involves three or more motorists
- The investigating officer writes you a ticket for violating a traffic law
- Your injury is severe
- The estimate to repair your car is expensive
- The insurer denies your claim
- Your doctor diagnoses you with a disability or permanent impairment
How Much Do Car Accident Lawyers Charge?
Most car accident attorneys charge a contingency fee. That means they don’t require upfront payment to represent their clients. They get paid if they secure a settlement or favorable jury verdict. A contingency fee means you’re not required to pay ongoing fees or costs while your lawyer handles your case.
Whether or not you have to pay the contingency fee depends on the outcome of the case. If your lawyer recovers compensation, they will take a percentage of their legal fees from your settlement during the injury claim or financial award from the third-party lawsuit.
Contingency fees for car accident cases are on a sliding scale, typically starting at 33.3 percent. If your attorney settles your claim, they will take the agreed-upon percentage from your settlement check for payment.
If your lawyer needs to file a lawsuit, the fee can increase to 40 percent or another predetermined percentage. Since lawsuits are often more expensive to prepare, attorneys will often want a higher percentage of the compensation to cover their fees and case-related costs.
Contact a Dedicated Car Accident Attorney Now
Holding someone liable for your injuries can be overwhelming. A car accident lawyer can improve your chance of financial recovery, so do not hesitate to contact The Benton Law Firm.